Livestock Sub-sector Component
The MES will directly report to the Imprest Administrator and the Imprest Accounting Officer.
Collaboration / working links with other Livestock Sub- sector component groups
The MES will pro-actively cooperate and collaborate with all departments and research institute of the General Directorate of Animal Health and Production, as well as the Technical Support Staff.
Brief introduction into Programme with focus on position
The Programme will promote inclusive and sustainable growth in the Agricultural Sector: Fisheries and Livestock. Based on each Programme Estimate of the Livestock Sub-sector Component, the MES will work closely with the Imprest Administrator, the Imprest Accounting Officer, Programme Adviser and the Global Technical Assistance team, and will provide an overall guidance and coordination to the seconded RGC support staff as outlined in the approved programme documents.
Programme Estimates have to be used through decentralised management under the responsibilities of the RGC. For this, management of Programme Estimate is delegated to the Imprest Administrator and the Imprest Accounting Officer.
Detailed description of duties and tasks
MES will perform his/her duties according to the best standards and professional ethics and according to EU Practical Guidelines and the Financing Agreement.
S/he will be responsible for:
- Participating in preparing financing plan and budget for new programme estimates;
- Participating actively in the design, development and management of the M&E Information Systems (M&EIS) and SARA M&E databases;
- Participating in the development of the M&EIS dissemination strategy;
- Conducting capacity assessment on existing monitoring and evaluation system to develop indicators and monitoring strategy for the programme;
- Undertaking and facilitating the implementation of the M&E plan,
- Participating in and providing support to project/Programme design activities including development of theories of change and strategic frameworks
- Designing the formats and procedures for operational monitoring;
- Identifying the need and drawing up the TOR for specific evaluation studies;
- Implementing of a M&EIS and identifying where support is needed;
- Preparing consolidated progress reports for programme management to submit to the Programme Steering Committee, Technical Working Group and the European Union Delegation, in accordance with approved reporting formats;
- Providing relevant information for internal and external M&E studies;
- Developing the Programme objectives’ hierarchy and logframe matrix (activities, processes, inputs, outputs, outcomes and impacts);
- Determining information needs of programme management, development partners and primary stakeholders under grants management;
- Identifying and designing performance questions, key indicators and targets for all activities of the Livestock sub-sector Component;
- Guiding and supervising organisations that are sub-contracted to implement special surveys or studies required for evaluating project effects and impacts;
- Assisting NGOs or private sectors in carrying out relevant surveys/evaluations including final M&E;
Coordination and Management
- Coordinating with the Grants Task Manager in monitoring of the progress on the implementation of the Grants;
- Tracking leadership and management of the M&E system
- Provide coordination to M&E team activities.
- Setting-up of Monitoring and Evaluation system for the Livestock sub-sector Component, including PEs and Grants;
- Regularly revising and updating performance questions, indicators, methods, formats and analytical processes.
- Carrying out extensive monitoring site visits to observe the progress of the Livestock sub-sector Component against agreed AWPB.
- Obtaining results of baseline surveys to be conducted by the private sector ensuring key indicators are included for future project monitoring and evaluation;
- Regular monitoring all programme activities, expenditures in close collaboration with Finance Specialist;
- Monitoring the sustainability of the Livestock sub-sector Component results;
- With the support from the M& E assistance, work with PMS, Management and Monitoring Adviser to produce field evaluation reports, monitoring report, programme report as stated in the PEs (quarterly, mid-year and completion reports);
- Identify good field practices and writing case studies to publicly share
- Organizing and conducting training on M&EIS for the programme staff, GDAHP government counterpart, implementing partners and primary stakeholders;
- Assisting IA in the preparation of reports on the findings and lessons learned from programme innovations;
- Contributing to institutional learning processes through tracking best practices in monitoring and convening dissemination meeting with the GDAHP to share lesson learnt and prepare next plan/way forward.
- MES will stay for another 1.5 months during the closure period to gather, consolidate, write and finalise the OPE3 completion report and other documents related including handing over smoothly to relevance stakeholders related fields.
Outputs to be achieved / produced during the contract period
The MES is expected to provide:
- Monitoring and evaluation report, as required in the PE;
- Design, development and management of the M&E Information Systems (M&EIS) database;
- Capacity assessment on existing monitoring and evaluation system, revising and updating performance questions, indicators, methods, formats and analytical process;
- Training on M&EIS for project and government staff.